Monday, January 21, 2008

Simply puzzling

Johnston enjoys puzzles.  He’s the only person I’ve met that does puzzles from the inside out.  We haven’t figured out why or how he can….but figure it only adds to his unique personality!  Does it really matter if one doesn’t start with the border?  Once in the beginning of the puzzle era that I now find myself living in I  sat down to do a new puzzle with him.  I pulled all the border pieces out and put the the middle pieces across the table.  That’s just the puzzle rules right?  I looked up to see Johnston standing there watching me with a strange look on his face.  He asked me what I was doing and why was I doing it?  It hit me  that I was just following the simple puzzle rule…start with the border and work from there.    No reason…no thought…just doing what I was taught and my mom was taught and so on.  I realized that I had never "taught" Johnston to do puzzles…he just took off from the wooden puzzles and kept going. 
Since then we do puzzles together a few times a week and he starts with the middle and I start with the border…it works out quite well!!!!!


I started a new puzzle the other day with Johnston and when I came back in
from doing something I found Johnston perched on the table working away!
(You can see my border started.)

No comments:

Post a Comment