Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Pencil Sharpeners are not needed

I think we have a pencil sharpener eating monster in our house.  As soon as I buy one it disappears…forever…never to be seen again.  I haven’t been able to get to the store to buy yet another one, so Johnston’s pencils have gotten duller and duller as the week has progressed.  He doesn’t seem to mind…he figures that once the pencil is useless I will not make him do paperwork anymore.  Wrong!

So this morning as I laid out our first course of school Johnston brought his pencil to me.  It was useless….what was I going to do….frustration overcame me….thoughts in my mind start circling like a tornado.  I sit there wondering why oh why can’t my wonderful son put things back where they belong…why must his erasers become tanks, his pencils become robots and yes the wonderful pencil sharpener be a dinosaur.  Now on a any other day I love his imagination and the fact that it doesn’t take more than a stick and grass to get him playing something wonderful…but that was lost in the moment. 

As I sat there Johnston brings me back to reality and the reason we love homeschooling.  He looks at the useless pencil and simple wonders aloud if using a knife to sharpen it would work.  I truly believe there were angels singing at that moment.  Off to the kitchen he ran and we did a quick study of how a knife can safely sharpen our pencils.  You gotta love it!

 Johnston practicing sharpening skills!

 Johnston was so proud of his new skill!

No comments:

Post a Comment