Monday, February 4, 2008

Crock-pot Crazy!

Today Johnston and I played chef.  Which means while we got dinner into the crock-pot we talked with French accents and put "chef" in front of our names.  When we are really crazy we pretend we are taping our own show on the Food Network!  So much fun! (Thanks for this idea "chef" Destiny!)

When I looked in the fridge this morning trying to see what I was going to make for dinner I found half a bag of broccoli that I buy in bulk from Costco.  Usually we don’t seem to eat it fast enough and I end up throwing about a 1/4 of the bag away.  So there it was…..just looking at me.  We have had raw broccoli for almost two weeks straight and I personally was done with it.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw my crockpot and bells started ringing.  I could almost hear angels singing.  Ok…maybe not….but ideas started flying through my head.  I hadn’t done any shopping last week due to Tim’s dad being in the hospital.  So I wasn’t sure what I had that would work.  I grab a few things that I had around and we "created" a soup!  It turned out so good I had to post.  

Johnston cut up two carrots.

One large onion and the carrots ~  sauteed just slightly.

Pouring the raw broccoli into the crock-pot.

All ingredients must be taste tested for quality!

Just about to stir in the cheese Johnston grated.

Ready to eat!  It sure was yummy!

Recipe:
Raw Broccoli (just poured almost to the top of crock pot)
2 carrots (chopped and sauteed w/ butter)
1 large onion (chopped and sauteed w/ butter)
1 small can corn (will use frozen next time)
1 family size can of cream of mushroom soup (any cream soup would do probably)
1 soup can of milk
About 2 cups of shredded cheese (we really didn’t measure…might have been more)
Salt
Lots of garlic powder (only form of garlic my mil had at her house where I cooked dinner, will use
minced garlic next time)
*Throw everything in the crock-pot.  Stir.  Cook on high for 3-4 hours.
**I’m going to play around with herbs next time and I might add celery and rice as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment